Use of the instrumentation in the WSEL is for users who have been approved and/or trained by the Lab Manager only. Training by another student is NOT ALLOWED, unless approved by the Lab Manager. Reservations for instrument use are managed using Facilities Online Manager (FOM).

  • To make a reservation (using your FOM account), click HERE.
  • If you do not have a FOM account, scroll down to create an account.

To schedule a training session, please visit the Training Page.

Getting started — Users of WSEL need to complete the three steps below before any further action can be taken.

  1. Account setup: Before funding can be set up for you in the Water Science and Engineering Laboratory (WSEL), you must first create a user account in Facilities Online Manager (FOM). You can do this by clicking selecting the “I am a new user” link and following the directions.  If you already have a FOM account you don’t need to create a new one to use another center.
  2. Funding:  The principle investigator or their designee are responsible for maintenance of their funding strings.  For instructions, please click here.  For questions, contact the Lab Manager.  External users need to provide PO information for their account through FOM.
  3. Training:  Once you have created an account you can request specific equipment training through the FOM scheduling software – or by contacting the Lab Manager.

What can I expect as a User?

After users have created their account and requested training they will be contacted by the Lab Manager to setup a training time.  After training and meeting any safety requirements users will be allowed to schedule and use the instruments in the WSEL.

All instrument use is tracked by FOM and billed monthly.


Billing is submitted electronically on a monthly basis. A “test” bill is sent out after the first of each month, giving the principal investigator a minimum of three days to review the billing charges and make any changes in the funding before the final billing is submitted.

Funding changes  

Any requests to do funding changes after the billing has been submitted will have to be done by the principal investigator’s department staff as a non-salary transfer. The WSEL can only change the current month’s billing and charges forward.  The WSEL will not be able to do retroactive changes, but you can ask your departmental accounting staff to do retroactive changes for you.